The Afrikaans market is the second biggest market in South Africa

28 Sep 2016

Not only is the Afrikaans market the second biggest in South Africa, but it is made up of big spenders. On average, Afrikaans speakers earn R20 357 per month. A whopping 92% of this market prefer to read in their own language (92% van Afrikaanssprekendes verkies om te lees in hul eie taal). The vast majority (88%) like to see advertising that reflects their culture. That’s a lot of annoyed people if you resort to stereotype.


The numbers behind the reach


Ads24’s Afrikaans reader community has a Total Cumulative Impact across all platforms of 5.7 million, this impact score can be compared to other media channels within a multi-channel ecosystem, by way of reviewing Ads24 ratings against TVRs for example. The Ads24 Afrikaans newspaper bundle includes: Beeld, Die Burger, Volksblad, Rapport and Netwerk24. Ads24’s Afrikaans reader community has an Effective Reach Opportunity (reach at 1+) of 2.7 million, and Duplicated Read (Reach at 3+) is 1.6 million.


They are connected


Most of the digital engagement (70%) is via mobile, with the remaining (30%) via a PC or desktop. 951 000 Afrikaans readers use their mobiles for social networking and 61% of this market use social media. This market enjoys online shopping and are 1.3 times more likely to have groceries delivered to their homes.


Old school is cool


Having said this 80% of this market still access their accounts via ATMs or at their bank. Afrikaans speakers like to be hip and happening and on the forefront of new technological advancements, but at the same time, they have a respect for tradition and for the tried and tested.


Appearances matter


The Afrikaans market likes to look good and take care of their appearance. 40% of Ads24’s Afrikaans readers get their hair done every month.


The effectiveness of Afrikaans adverting


Karen Meiring says in an article on Bizcommunity, “Yes Afrikaans speakers understand English, but Afrikaans is a commercial language. Afrikaans music, for example, is the best selling genre of the music industry in the country. The point is that Afrikaans communities support Afrikaans products - they attend festivals, theatre productions, music shows and films, and listen to radio and watch television in Afrikaans.”


Afrikaans speakers also read newspapers in Afrikaans and are more likely to support products advertised in newspapers that support their culture and way of life. Ads24 holds the key to unlocking the hearts, minds and wallets of a great many consumers in the Afrikaans market. They do this by building their trust and earning their respect – by communicating with them on their terms and in their language.


In an article on the SA Creative Network’s website, Dr Theuns Eloff, chairman of Die Dagbreek Trust says, “Many Afrikaans advertisements have been made that were even found to be entertaining by other language groups ... Maybe the time has come for Afrikaans people to take a stand. Their buying power is still substantial enough to insist on Afrikaans advertisements without being negative.”

 

Follow Ads24:       

Sources: AMPS 2015AB, EM June 2016/Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TGI
ENDS

Please see attached infographic.
Full-link to Bizcommunity article: http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/12/115489.html
Full-link to SA Creative Network article:http://sacreativenetwork.co.za/2015/04/afrikaans-is-a-very-effective-advertising-language/
 

 


About Ads24

Ads24 reaches six in ten South Africans, including print and digital readers. Ads24 touches the lives of over a half of all South Africans adults. While it is important to identify the size and segment the audience, looking at how Ads24 engages with its readers, is equally as important.

Ads24 is part of the Media24 Group representing 97 newspaper titles. From Dailies to Sunday papers to locals, Ads24 reaches almost every target segment in South Africa, no small achievement in such a diverse country. The most exciting element is how these titles become part of the community that Ads24 serves.

A news reader is an engaged reader. Ads24 news brands play an important and unique role in the daily lives of their readers. Ads24 sees beyond the numbers, beyond the market segments, to connect with the people on a personal level. Ads24 has the stats, the numbers, but also the insights.

 

 

www.ads24.co.za